Re: VLC Media Player & Blu-Ray Media Playback

VLC Media Player & Blu-Ray Media Playback (February 27, 2020 01:04AM) johnoshea02
Hi, would you be able to offer any advice as regards the following: i’ve just inputed a commercial Blu-Ray Disc via a TOPELEK External Bluray Drive, onto my MacBook Pro Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Mid 2015) (macOS Catalina 10.15.3) and i’ve attempted to play this Blu-Ray Disc (Region B) on the following software:

VLC Version: 3.0.4 (without success) by dropping the Disc Image & Media i encountered the following message:

Errors and Warnings

Blu-ray error
This Blu-ray Disc needs a library for AACS decoding, and your system does noit have it.
Your input can’t be opened
VLC is unable to open MRL ‘bluray:///Volumes/STARDUST'.
Check the log for details.
[Clean up]

So can you please advise me what can i do to remedy this so that i am able to playback my Blu-ray discs (Region B as well as A) on this version of the VLC player.

Kind Regards
Re: VLC Media Player & Blu-Ray Media Playback (February 28, 2020 03:42AM) VidGreg
Hi John02
As Steve Jobs said… "Blu-ray is a bucket of hurts" This mainly relates to the DRM schemes that used to play/record/copy BD titles.
You are facing some of the limitations of overcoming the various DRM protection codes. It gets quite complicated, involves the BD itself, the Player, the internet, and different versions of DRM.
Here is a somewhat outdated Wikipedia article about how this works… [en.wikipedia.org]

Note that this article mainly covers AACS but there are other schemes like BD+.
So your player needs to be relatively new in order to play latest movies. Yes really, this may require replacing older players to play the latest movies. (Bag of Hurts)
VLC in the standard downloads do not provide the necessary libraries and decryption software to copy or play BD except some non encrypted movies that contain universal player codes. You need to go to the Videolan site and find the links to the needed libraries and possibly the decryption keys. See this article…
[www.videolan.org]

You have to follow links to download the libraries/keys. Legally Videolan cannot provide direct downloads to DRM circumvention. VLC has limited support in the latest releases for playing, make sure you have the latest version 3.0.8 as 3.0.7 and up added more BD support. Many of the links are on the right side of the web landing page.

Your attempts to copy the BD most likely still contains the DRM content and won't play. There are ways to both alter the firmware on your player or install the decryption keys to circumvent the protection.
There are some apps that can create and play BDs like Toast Titanium PRO. You need the Pro version for BD.
Macs do have the ability to burn BD if you have the appropriate media. This is part of the OS and is surfaced in various Apple apps and the Finder.
Hopefully, you will be able to work it out. There is more discussion at the Videolan forums which it appears you have posted your question there, but search and you will find this discussed in several threads.

Hope this Helps, Greg
Re: VLC Media Player & Blu-Ray Media Playback (March 06, 2020 06:13AM) joelhall
johnoshea02 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So can you please advise me what can i do to
> remedy this so that i am able to playback my
> Blu-ray discs (Region B as well as A) on this
> version of the VLC player.

Check out https://www.makemkv.com

I've not tried it, but their forum does mention that the current version of makemkv does automatically install those Libraries for VLC to use to play Blu-ray discs.

best wishes. Joel.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login