Re: FYI: QuickTime 7.5

FYI: QuickTime 7.5 (June 16, 2008 08:08AM) ronny courtens
To whom this may concern: after having updated QT yesterday without any problems on my home G5 running Tiger v11, I have now updated QT on the office iMacs and editing Macpros running Leopard.

First installs were perfect, no glitches or issues at all. But as a rule I always do a complete re-install from a clean clone drive before updating critical software like QT or the OS.

So I got curious and decided to update QT on the last Mac without doing a fresh install... and yes, there were the problems: choppy playback of MPEG2 and FLV in QuickTime, and no video in Safari. Also no audio when playing back AVI files.

So I went in Library > QuickTime, removed and re-installed the 3rd party QT components one by one and rebooted the Mac. Suddenly everything worked OK again, except AVI playback. So I removed the Xvid 10 component again and voilĂ ... all went well. I guess Perian took over for Xvid playback.

After my little experiment I did re-install the Mac from the clone drive just like I did with the others, because this is an editing machine and I can't afford any weirdness tomorrow.

Conclusion: QT 7.5 seems to break existing links with external QT components like Perian, Flip4Mac etc... on certain Leopard machines. And the XVid 10 codec just doesn't work at all anymore. That's the issues I have had (updating on a machine without clean re- install).

I don't think many people are as crazy as I am to completey re-install a computer before updating QT. So my advice, for what its' worth: do not install QT 7.5 yet, I think there may be a patch coming soon.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: FYI: QuickTime 7.5 (June 16, 2008 08:43AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Ronny,

Great info, thanks for posting (now we know). I have taken note.

--ken
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login