Moving project from FCE to FCS

Moving project from FCE to FCS (November 01, 2008 07:27AM) paulazimm7
Hi,

I've been an editor for 11 years, spending my time working in public tv, so I'm not as advanced as most of you , though I'm looking to get there eventually. I've recently taken on a short doc project that's giving me some challenges. I'll explain:

The doc was shot on a Panasonic AG HVX200 HD in tape mode (SD) on mini-DV at 24p and 16:9 letterbox. The producer captured it to his FCE 3.5 to rough cut it and add music and VO tracks.

Initially, I've exported the rough cut using QT conversion, setting it up as DV-NTSC 16:9 and 24p and saving it to my firewire hard drive. I've transferred the file from my drive to my FCS to do the final edit. I left my sequence settings the same as I have them for my regular work edits-720 x 480 NTSC 4:3. The video looks ok when I bring it up and plays without rendering, but two things have happened. It now runs at 30fps instead of 24 and all the audio has merged down to two tracks. The original had 6-8, including the interview audio.

If I try re-exporting the footage from FCE:

1. Is exporting the only choice, since FCE has no Media Manager?
2. What would I need to do differently to keep the 24p frame rate and preserve the audio as separate tracks?

The producer claims that his last editor was able to transfer without these problems, but after reading the FCE information, I'm not sure how he did it and I'm trying not to look foolish here. I'm still really enthusiastic about the project, so I'd be extremely appreciative of any tips you can offer.

Thanks much,

Paula
Re: Moving project from FCE to FCS (November 01, 2008 07:51AM) sbeisen
Re: Moving project from FCE to FCS (November 01, 2008 08:38AM) paulazimm7
Hi, Steve,

Is there a way to get the project file with all the media attached out of FCE to my firewire drive, since FCE doesn't have Media Manager? The two computers are in different places, so I need an intermediate way to get the file from one to the other. Would this involve copying the project file and all the media as separate pieces to my drive, then opening the project in FCS on the other computer and reconnecting all the media? Thanks for your help with this.

Paula
Re: Moving project from FCE to FCS (November 02, 2008 09:06AM) Luis Rafael Cosme
Hi Paula,

All I can say is awww man!!!
I don't think that exporting from FCE will give you the results that you are looking for.
Because if I'm not mistaken I believe the export will mux the audio files and all...
Hopefully someone else can shed some more light on this...

But assuming that you have Final Cut Pro and that Final Cut Pro will open files or a project previously saved in FCE.
I would transfer the whole project to your hard drive not export it from FCE.

That should give you access to all the audio files and make the project settings to stay at 24fps.
Becase what I think is that when you exported, It converted your export to over 30 or actually 29.97 as a standard.

Actually... I think that not exporting and bringing the whole project, will solve all your troubles.
You should be able to open the whole project as is in FCP.

Anyone?

Without me not having to do this in the past, I would take the whole project and files from final cut express and
dump them into your hard drive. Take it to your suite and do your magic.

Good Luck,
~Lou~
Re: Moving project from FCE to FCS (November 03, 2008 12:39AM) paulazimm7
Hi, Lou,

I think you've got it right. Exporting did merge everything, so I went back last night and copied the project file and all the media (hopefully!) to my drive and I'm going to re-assemble it on my system today. Wish me luck and thanks much for the tip!

Paula
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login