FCP and Apple viruses?

FCP and Apple viruses? (February 14, 2009 04:04AM) MarkLoPresti
Re: FCP and Apple viruses? (February 14, 2009 05:17AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Mark,

I know of no viruses for the Mac.

Your last sentence was a bit cryptic, did you wipe your boot drive clean and do a complete reinstall of everything. (OS and Apps)?

Some of your issues seem to involve keyboard shortcuts. Have you tried a different keyboard?

--ken
Re: FCP and Apple viruses? (February 14, 2009 06:03AM) Christoph Vonrhein
Re: FCP and Apple viruses? (February 14, 2009 02:17PM) MarkLoPresti
These are all very good thoughts, but we've been over and over them. Someone else suggested buying a new keyboard. THAT makes sense, but again, the "experts" say that can't be it either. I'm buying a new one anyway. Mostly these problems have become absolutely mind bending. I blamed myself for the longest time until others closely watched me and observed I had done nothing wrong but the occasional push of the wrong key. They also observed the malfunctions without explanation.

We've also gone through every replace the hard drive/reinstall software/ run Disk Warrior scenario over and over. Some problems improve and then new ones show up. Right now Motion 3 is still experiencing the missing panes that can't at all be accessed. I finally trashed all FCP Studio 2 files and reinstalled and updated to current versions. Motion was the one program that would not update, or even work properly after reinstallation. I downloaded the Motion updates, but it would not green light ANY of the active drives for installation. This will give the Mac guy a new hobby on Monday when HE has to sit there and become frustrated.

One thing we're doing is dumping our RAIDs. They've been dogs from the first. Apple promised me as many as 6-7 "Real-Time" layers. Sometimes I don't get even one depending on what I'm doing. Render, render, render. IMHO, Apple's claims of "Real-Time" are FRAUD! The sad thing is that our 1996 AVID runs circles around my up to date FCP in the Real Time race and does better effects too. And I've been told by so many that I 'should' get more Real Time than I'm getting, but it always stops right there. No one is smart enough to fix the problem. They just go "Hmmmmmm? Hmmmmm? If I wasn't so deep into FCP Studio 2, I'd take back AVID in a second because Apple seems more concerned with iPod and iPhone support these days anyway.

Thanks for all for the suggestions. Keep 'em coming. There HAS to be an explanation for this round robin of malfunction.
Mostly, IMO, Mac experts should have been able to nail some legit possibilities by now. The reinstall days are over for good.

Mark

Christoph Vonrhein Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mark,
>
> There are no known viruses for Apple computers
> what so ever. (But there are a million viruses for
> $Soft Windoze).
> There are especially no viruses targeting FCP or
> Motion.
>
> The problems you experience seem to be connected
> to one or more of the following points:
> 1. Hardware: You might have a faulty hardware
> which makes your software (any software) run
> unreliable.
> 2. Hard drive: Are you sure that your hard drive
> is ok ?
> 2. Software: Your installation of OSX and/or FCS
> is damaged.
> 3. Did you repair your disk permissions lately
> (Disk Utility)?
> 4. User error: Previously ruled out by yourself.
> 5. Did you reinstall the whole system (OSX and
> FCS) ?
Re: FCP and Apple viruses? (February 15, 2009 09:12AM) steve douglas
Hey Mark,
Now tell us how you really feel about Apple? ;-)
You're right though. There are many areas of FC that could be greatly improved.
Steve
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login