FCP 5 keeps crashing on me!

FCP 5 keeps crashing on me! (June 26, 2008 04:17AM) rachelcm
Hello all!

I'm working on a PowerMac G5 with OS X.4 and FCP 5.

Up until recently our system has been working fine, but within the last month we've had lots of issues with either spontaneous corruption crashing FCP or it simply shuts down without any explanation. Most recently I haven't been able to use Title 3D or put minor color filters on clips without it crashing on me, and I'm having problems rendering all at once and exporting. I've trashed my preferences to no avail. I've restarted the computer...

The only thing that seems to have worked this morning is to render each clip from "Preview" or "Full" to fully rendered individually, but this isn't really a time saver by any means.

Our staff editor has mentioned having problems in the past with Quicktime being too far "advanced" (we're now up to 7 something) for our less recent version of FCP. Could this be the issue?

Thanks!!

-Rachel
Re: FCP 5 keeps crashing on me! (June 26, 2008 08:13AM) Ken Stone Admin
Re: FCP 5 keeps crashing on me! (June 26, 2008 08:33AM) rachelcm
Thanks for the link, I'm not sure if we'll try it just yet, but it's good to know that we could downgrade if need be. Most likely we'll just upgrade to FCP 6 and hope that it's solved. After reading some posts here about problems with QT 7.5, I'm more inclined to think it's the QT...

It just doesn't seem to be the computer...it had it's processor replaced about 3 months ago, so even though the fans kicked in when I forced the render clip by clip this morning, I can't imagine it's the hardware - I've been using the comp all day to do other things like write to a tape drive...

Thanks again, and let me know if you think of anything else...any one ever even encountered this yet?

Cheers,
Rachel
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login