Re: DVCPRO Capture Problems - Tape or Deck or FCP Issue ?

DVCPRO Capture Problems - Tape or Deck or FCP Issue ? (June 26, 2008 12:16PM) sallen123
Hi

Trying to capture from DVC PRO tapes - problem is I don't know if they are DVC PRO 25 , DVC PRO 50, or HD
(we inherited these tapes from another company, who shot them but is not being forthcoming about how they shot...)

I have a Panasonic AJ-SD93 deck hooked up to Final Cut 5.1.4 via 6pin firewire
I start playing tape with regular DV NTSC settings in Log & Capture, timecode seems to be rolling continuously, the deck display says i is DVC PRO 50 - then I hit Capture Now and I get a freeze frame, and an error message :

Capture encountered a problem reading the data on your source tape. This could be due to a problem with the tape. Capture has been aborted.

So is it the tape ?
The weird thing is I was able to capture up to about 10 min of the first tape.
Even when playing back, something changes on the tape at about 10 min - but what ? Timecode is continuous - what coudl change and make it uncapturable ?.
Re: DVCPRO Capture Problems - Tape or Deck or FCP Issue ? (June 26, 2008 01:02PM) Ken Stone Admin
If it was shot on mini-DV tape it can not be DVCPRO HD.

If the deck says it's 50, probably is.

--ken
Re: DVCPRO Capture Problems - Tape or Deck or FCP Issue ? (June 26, 2008 01:15PM) sallen123
So given that its probably DVCPRO50, can you think of any reason why I was having the problems described above with capturing from these tapes.

Never got that error message before...

(Now capturing using a DV50 template for capture settings with better luck, so far...)
Re: DVCPRO Capture Problems - Tape or Deck or FCP Issue ? (June 26, 2008 01:27PM) Ken Stone Admin
Re: DVCPRO Capture Problems - Tape or Deck or FCP Issue ? (June 27, 2008 10:32AM) Ian Flynn
err, as a lark, maybe try another Firewire cable?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login