FW Capture Audio error...

FW Capture Audio error... (June 27, 2008 04:41AM) sbrave
Seems like since v6.0 came out, every time we capture DV via Firewire, there is a message that the audio "rate"does not match the session, etc. When played back the audio is always ahead of the video. Not sure if the message is referring to sample rate or what. This happens even using an easy setup of DV-NTSC
Last test was done using our DSR-11 connected to a Quad G5 and being captured to a 500g G Raid.
I never remember getting this message in v5.1.4
Re: FW Capture Audio error... (June 27, 2008 10:21PM) ronny courtens
Best thing you can do is to check the sample rate of your recorded footage. You can see this in your camera or deck. If it's not 16-Bit 48KHz then it's not reliable for capturing and you will get the "audio rate" message. As far as I know FCP5 didn't give this warning, so people had problems with audio drifting off without knowing why. If you have recorded in the wrong audio format you can try capturing anyway and convert the audio to 48KHz 16-Bit, or just shift the audio in the timeline if the audio drift is consistent.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: FW Capture Audio error... (June 28, 2008 06:15AM) sbrave
Yup, this is strange. We get projects at my work already on DV tapes and this problem comes up. What about using our DSR-2000 deck and capturing SDI through our Kona card? Will that make a difference?
Also, can you convert the audio to 48/16bit directly in FCP, or does it have to get exported to Pro Tools or Soundtrack,
and then re-imported to FCP?

Thanks!

Steve
Re: FW Capture Audio error... (June 28, 2008 09:16AM) ronny courtens
Hi Steve,

If your footage is DV you will get the best video quality capturing via FireWire. On the other hand, capturing via the Kona output will also give you excellent quality and you can set your audio settings so your audio gets converted on the fly while capturing.

You can also convert the the audio to 46/16bit directly in FCP. Just select the audio in your timeline, choose File > Export > Audio to AIFF and make sure the audio export is set to 48 KHz 16 Bit.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login