Re: Blackmagic Design Intensity now offers support for FCP X

Blackmagic Design Intensity now offers support for FCP X - FALSE! (July 04, 2011 07:16PM) Joe Redifer
Re: Blackmagic Design Intensity now offers support for FCP X (July 05, 2011 12:32AM) Graeme Herwig
what makes you think this beta supports FCP X?
Re: Blackmagic Design Intensity now offers support for FCP X (July 05, 2011 10:26AM) Joe Redifer
Re: Blackmagic Design Intensity now offers support for FCP X (July 05, 2011 11:06AM) ronny courtens
Hi Graeme,

Blackmagic's new capture tool Media Express 3 works perfectly with FCPX. It is actually a good deal better than FCP 7 for tape capture and layback. You can capture with it, then import into X nicely. Export a QT from FCPX and lay to tape.

It comes free and works with most Decklink cards. I use it with a Decklink Extreme HD card to capture HDCAM SR over HD SDI into FCPX. You can create your own playlist, it supports CMX EDL import and export, frame accurate deck control via RS-422 and it outputs frame accurate to tape in insert and assemble mode.

I capture from HDCAM SR tape to ProRes 422 (frame accurate batch capture over RS422 with metadata and professional audio metering!), then I import the captured files in my FCPX Event. This only takes a second. Metadata and all clip info is preserved.

For anyone interested in the attached screenshots you will see the FCPX test bay I have been working on for a while now. To the left you see the machine I use to capture from tape into X with the Decklink card. On the FCPX Events monitor you can see the captured clips which have been named during capture and these names appear as metadata in X. On the Edit monitor you can see that my FxFactory plugins are working inside X. I mainly work in ProRes 422 (as I did in FCP7) using two 5 TB Raids as capture drives. Editing is blazing fast on a MacPro 8-core and hardly any rendering is required.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Blackmagic Design Intensity now offers support for FCP X (July 05, 2011 11:22AM) Graeme Herwig
Thanks Ronny,

So the meta data is preserved even though it's a standalone app - cool.

i had a quick look at this at NAB this year- so the only new features are the meta data preservation for FCP X - is my thinking correct?

Could you in theory capture to the Events folders on you media drives?

thanks for the pics too

Graeme
Re: Blackmagic Design Intensity now offers support for FCP X (July 05, 2011 11:15AM) Graeme Herwig
Joe,
How is it integrating with FCP X? is it hooking into the FCP X import/export menus?

as i understood Media Express was standalone. i.e you captured with it then took those files to your NLE, then after Exporting your project from your NLE you could use Media Express to master/lay back down to tape if you wished.

FCP X is not mentioned in the 3rd party software support list, just in the components installed list.

Just wondering just how much actual integration there is at this point- or if it's just delivering FCP X friendly files with the correct standard of metadata, or finding and capturing to event folders with metadata so your ready to role when you open FCP X.

Interesting i guess what ever the level of integration.

Graeme

Re: Blackmagic Design Intensity now offers support for FCP X (July 05, 2011 02:44PM) Joe Redifer
Re: Blackmagic Design Intensity now offers support for FCP X (July 05, 2011 03:01PM) Joe Redifer
Installed it. Looks like I was wrong, it doesn't work with the Intensity at all. The options to share the video on another monitor are grayed out. You must have a dual monitor setup to use it. I don't like the dual monitor setup because that makes my desktop dual monitor as well, and I do not like that. I want my mouse confined to one screen.
Re: Blackmagic Design Intensity now offers support for FCP X (July 11, 2011 03:13AM) Graeme Herwig
Hi Joe
i didn't think it had integrated yet within FCP X- very good/useful piece of software though.
thanks for reporting back

Graeme
Re: Blackmagic Design now offers support for FCP X (July 10, 2011 09:27PM) ronny courtens
Hi Graeme,

Yes you can capture to any folder, including your Events folders. You don't need to import the files after capturing to your Events folder, they will automatically appear in the FCPX Browser.

Best wishes,

Ronny

Re: Blackmagic Design now offers support for FCP X (July 11, 2011 03:10AM) Graeme Herwig
Hi Ronny
thanks - always good to know these things

Graeme
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login