Re: NTSC to PAL (file convertion)

NTSC to PAL (file convertion) (June 25, 2008 01:58PM) ddp
I have a project in DVD Studio Pro 4 with a .mov file (NTSC).

I need to make a version of that same DVD for Europe (PAL).

What's the best way to convert that .mov file into a PAL file in order to use it inside a new PAL project with DVD Studio Pro?

Thanks.
Re: NTSC to PAL (file convertion) (June 25, 2008 04:29PM) Ken Stone Admin
You have Compressor, right?

I'll send you a NSTC to PAL Compressor droplet (via email). Drop your QT self contained movie onto it.

--ken
Re: NTSC to PAL (file convertion) (June 26, 2008 05:26AM) ddp
Hi Ken, thanks a lot for your quick response.

Is it that simple?

I have to send it directly to Europe for duplication and I'm concerned about it.

Are there any other specs to take in consideration when converting to PAL (like Frame rate, etc) or the Compressor droplet does all that automatically?

Cheers!
Re: NTSC to PAL (file convertion) (June 26, 2008 05:52AM) Ken Stone Admin
Re: NTSC to PAL (file convertion) (June 26, 2008 01:04PM) ddp
Thank you so much Ken.

I had converted the file with Compressor. I tried to use the Droplet but with no luck. It opens (double-click or drag and drop) but nothing hapen and no specs about the compression neither.

Best regards,
Diego
Re: NTSC to PAL (file convertion) (June 26, 2008 01:08PM) Ken Stone Admin
Maybe it's too old to run on the new Compressor.

Sorry about that.

Glad you got it done.

--ken
Re: NTSC to PAL (file convertion) (June 27, 2008 09:30AM) Gunther Maier
Ken,
Is it wrong to prepare your files in NTSC, and then when you are ready open a new project in DVD Pro just select PAL from the set up.
This way you DVD can be burned either way by just switching the one setting?! it seems to work since my friend in Germany can play the DVD on his big screen.
Re: NTSC to PAL (file convertion) (June 27, 2008 09:36AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Gunther,

Most European DVD players can read both PAL and NTSC. Most of the people I know just create NTSC and send that over-seas. You can check on this.

If you really want to make a PAL DVD, you'll want to convert the NTSC to PAL in Compressor first.

--ken
Re: NTSC to PAL (file convertion) (October 19, 2010 09:00AM) metafus
Ken did you make a tutorial on what compressor setting to use for this conversion? I am also trying to do the same thing.
Re: NTSC to PAL (file convertion) (October 19, 2010 09:59AM) Ken Stone Admin
I don't have a tutorial on this, but just drag your NTSC into Compresor and then apply a PAL Preset.

--ken
Re: NTSC to PAL (file convertion) (October 19, 2010 10:33AM) metafus
Hi Ken,
Thank you for the quick reply
do you recommend directly from fcp to export file/ using compressor as sd 8-bit uncompressed PAL setting?
then convert it to mpeg-2 in compressor to get ready for dvd? What do you think? or is dvd studio a better converter of mpeg-2?
I thought experts prefer to go through compressor.
Re: NTSC to PAL (file convertion) (October 19, 2010 10:37AM) Ken Stone Admin
Did you know that most PAL players can play NTSC as well?
--ken
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login